Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Reflection for Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Wednesday of the Third Week of Advent
IS 7:10-14
PS 24:1-2, 3-4AB, 5-6
LK 1:26-38

As I reflected on the readings, I found myself overwhelmed as I can imagine Mary feeling overwhelmed with the words from the angel Gabriel that was sent by God in the Gospel LK 1:26-1:38, the announcement of the Birth of Jesus.  To imagine this moment in Mary’s life where she learns that she will be the Mother of the Son of God – this is an awesome gift and an awesome responsibility.  She was selected to receive this gift from God – a pure and simple gift from God.  Mary humbly accepts this gift (1:38) before the angel departs from her.  How can we learn from Mary’s willingness to serve God humbly and without fear?

To imagine times where you may be overwhelmed with a great responsibility that someone else gives you, even if they have faith in you for this responsibility.  Are there times where we feel unworthy of a “gift”?  Unworthy of someone’s belief in us?  The readings had me reflect on faith – faith in one’s self and faith in God.  I think the season is a time for us to cherish these opportunities to find faith in yourself and finding God in others.  Many times, we get lost in our feelings of not being good enough or worthy enough for what God presents to us – or we don’t recognize God’s presence in our life and the opportunities presented to us.  By strengthening our faith in ourselves, we strengthen our faith in God.  And by strengthening our faith in God, we strengthen our faith in ourselves.

I also think the announcement of the coming of Jesus, the Son of God, is a time for awareness and celebration – this is a time for joy and to be awed by the power of God through the gift he bestows upon Mary and all of us.  How can we find time to reflect on this “gift” during a busy Christmas season that sometimes is full of the material gifts?  My challenge for myself this year is to reflect on the presence of God in my life and how I will find opportunities to strengthen my faith even when I may feel overwhelmed or unworthy throughout the year.  I find my strength in Mary’s grace.

Susan M. Fanale
Director of Orientation
Saint Louis University

No comments:

Post a Comment