Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Reflection for Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
LK 1:39-47

I don’t know about you but as someone who has heard today’s reading many times, it is easy for me to just read through and miss all the miracles that occurred.  Mary, a virgin, conceived through the Holy Spirit our Emmanuel, the One whom God would send to save us.  And Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, well along in years and barren we are told, now also, is pregnant with John who would later baptize Jesus.  There is so much going on in today’s reading.  This is a story that God was already writing when he was laying the foundations of the earth.  This is a story of one “whose coming forth is from old, from ancient days” (Micah 5:2).  And yet, in my familiarity with the story, or maybe the busyness of the season, or the distractions that pull me away from really taking this story in new again, too many times I am apathetic instead of joyous.
It reminds me of another Christmas story my mom likes to tell.  It was the late 1970s and my brother and I had only had one gift on our Christmas list – the Atari 2600.  This was going to bring the video arcade into our house and we couldn’t wait!  On Christmas Day our console arrived and we immediately put Space Invaders in and battled all day long.  In fact, we were so excited we didn’t even want to stop for the huge Christmas dinner my mom had worked tirelessly to prepare.  After slamming dinner in less than 10 minutes we were back at the television playing our Atari.  Of course, my mom’s version of this story isn’t a very happy one but for my brother and me, this was one of the happiest Christmases ever! 
Wouldn’t it be great if we could experience this same joy each year at the miracle birth of God’s Son?  And in that joy we could affirm like Mary:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior."

I pray that each of us finds that moment of empathy with Mary this Advent season, where our spirit can truly rejoice in our Savior who has come.

Eric Anderson is the Director of Campus Recreation and Wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment