Sunday, December 24, 2017

Reflection for Sunday, December 24, 2017

Fourth Sunday of Advent


The glory of the Lord is upon us!  Rejoice!

There are five separate sets of readings for both the fourth Sunday of Advent this year combined with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  In the gospels for this Sunday in Advent and Mass at dawn on Christmas, we find powerful images of Mary, of pastures and shepherds, flocks and angels, and of course the Christ child.

In an Ignatian contemplation I prayed on Luke 2: 15-20, I was moved by the shepherds, picturing myself as one of them on that holy night.  I could feel the cool wind of the evening blowing across my face.  I saw the angels surrounding me, the other shepherds, and the sheep.  I could hear the rustle of the silence of the meadow interspersed with the sheep bleating.  I could feel their wiry wooly coats as I comforted them.  I could taste the grass and dust blowing around through the field.

And in my contemplation, surrounding myself with all the feelings that come through my senses, I too experienced the arrival of the angels.  My fellow shepherds were excited to see the baby and so was I.  But then the head shepherd said to me “Hey, we’re going down to see the baby.  But someone has to stay behind and take care of the sheep – you’re the one, Sue!”  At first I was disappointed but then I curled up with those sheep surrounding me while the others went to the manger.

Now I was really stuck and struck with this imagery.  I couldn’t get beyond the “someone has to stay behind”.  After the disappointment left me, I did this job dutifully and I was able to reflect on that duty and hold it in my heart.  Sometimes we don’t get to “see” things and we must have faith – faith in the glory of God and in all the wonderful things God has brought to us.

In a similar way, in both of the Gospel readings, Mary reflects and has faith.  In Luke 1, we see Mary saying “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.”  And in Luke 2, Mary “kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.”  Mary’s a good role model for me in my contemplation but also for all of us.  By Mary’s example, how are we called to be both shepherds keeping the sheep and people of faith that take time to believe without seeing and to listen to the Holy Spirit call us by name?

St. Ignatius teaches us in the first principle and foundation, that we must love, reverence and serve God.  Mary provides the perfect example of this for us and we too, like the shepherds with our flocks (if you will – our families, our friends, our colleagues, the strangers we meet), are called to love, reverence, and serve God on this most holy of days.

The glory of the Lord is upon us!  Rejoice!

Sue Chawszczewski, Ph.D.

Director of Campus Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment