Friday, December 9, 2016

Reflection for Friday, December 9, 2016

Second Friday of Advent
IS 48: 17-19
PS 1:1-2, 3, 4 AND 6
MT 11:16-19

“I, the LORD, your God, teach you what is for your good and lead you on the way you should go.” (IS 48:17)

Oh, if it were that easy! The readings today remind me that God is right there – tangible and calling me to a worthwhile and full life. Again, if it were just that easy…

I’m a physical therapist. I know that exercise is good for all aspects of my health – weight control, blood sugar, muscle strength, joint mobility. And yet, I struggle to start and maintain a routine. I know once I start, my mind is clearer and I feel an energy in my body the rest of the day. But the start is the hardest part.

I often find myself in a similar position in my relationship with Christ. I know that reading and reflecting on the Word of God will nourish my heart and soul. And yet, I give that time away to get to work earlier, clean my house, or attend to other life obligations. I know once I start, my heart will sing with a joy as “Those who follow you, Lord, will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)

Many days I do not feel like I have the “light of life”. I am discouraged and overwhelmed. Each thought seems to be filled with anger toward others. “Why doesn’t he just____” or “If she doesn’t get back to me, I’m going to___”, fill in the blanks. It is often in those moments that I start to feel a very small light inside warming me, thawing the frost on my emotions.  I delete the e-mail I was writing or erase the text I was ready to send just a moment earlier. In that moment, Christ is calling me to follow, again. Follow His light of life. He is there every day, calling and holding the lights of our lives. I hope to hold onto His light through this Advent and throughout the year knowing that when I move back into the darkness, I always have an open invitation to return to the light of Christ.




Carol Beckel is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy & Athletic Training. She serves as the Director of Clinical Education for the Program in Physical Therapy in addition to her teaching and research in this area as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment